London 2012 Issues New Rallying Call – You’re One In a Million
London 2012 is encouraging people to sign up on 2012 Day and has issued a call to action to make Britain proud as the countdown continues to the decision by the IOC in Singapore next July.
Bid Chairman, Sebastian Coe said: “It’s 2012 Day so let’s show the world that Britain backs the Bid and go for the million.
“Every registered support counts. The more registered supporters the Bid can show the easier it is to demonstrate to the International Olympic Committee the UK’s support and passion to host the Games in 2012. This is the perfect day for people to sign up and support the bid.”
To help people register their support a range of activities have been organised to run throughout 2012 Day including:
- The launch of the London 2012 Frank/postmark; Around 40 million letters will roll through the Royal Mail’s franking machines on 2012 Day carrying a Back the Bid message. The franking message will continue right through to 6 July 2005.
- Children’s Promise; every baby born in the UK on 2012 Day will be given the opportunity of a role in the 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games should the bid be successful.
- ‘Silver blades’ launch; a new scheme supported by the Mayor of London to provide skating opportunities for disabled, over 50’s and community groups in London.
- BT lights up London; The landmark BT Tower will be uniquely lit up with a series of London 2012 supporting messages as a one off in the early evening.
- Leaping for London; through the EDF Energy Leap Counter at Heathrow Terminal 4 and London Stansted Airports courtesy of BAA. A special EDF Energy Leap Counter will also be on Oxford Street for Christmas shoppers to show their support.
- I backed the bid on 2012 Day stickers; 2012 ‘Back the Bid’ Teams will be encouraging people to register their support by distributing 2012 stickers throughout the day at mainline London train stations: Waterloo, Victoria and on Oxford Street by the New West End Red Caps.
- Secretary of State for the Department of Culture, Media and Sport, Tessa Jowell will launch the London Borough of Hackney’s Olympic sports programme with Olympic sailing medallist Simon Hiscocks.
- 1000 Free Theatre Tickets for residents of the five Olympic “host” East London Boroughs are being distributed by London Theatres as a taster of some of the culture and education activities that will fill the capital if London wins the Games
- Giant London 2012 Flag signing at the televised game of Charlton and Fulham.
To Make Britain proud and back the bid simply visit http://www.london2012.com/ or text LONDON to 82012.
For further information contact:
London 2012 Press Office (24 hours) : + 44 (0) 20 7093 5100 or Steve Bradley: 020 7413 3179 / 07771 776568 / email@example.com