Al Tamimi & Company - Sports Law Newsletter 2015
As usual Q4 is a busy time for the Sports practice; and, I recently had the opportunity to attend the Host Cities Summit that took place in Dubai, which emphasised the hosting of sporting events in the Middle East shows no sign of slowing down any time soon.
This holds true at Al Tamimi & Company, as an example, we are excited to be advising the upcoming major global T20 cricket tournament, Masters Champions League which is scheduled to take place at venues in Sharjah and Dubai early in 2016 (details noted below).
Also, we have been busy providing legal support to Yas Marina Circuit in delivering the final F1 event of the 2015 calendar. Al Tamimi & Company was also proud to support delivery of the inaugural Abu Dhabi Cycling Tour in October and we advised RCS Sports in connection with the first annual Abu Dhabi Sports Media Pearl Awards, culminating in the gala awards event on December 15.
Over the last six months the team have been kept busy with a steady flow of new instructions on some interesting projects and continuing requirements for our growing list of regular clients. Below are some examples of our recent projects:
Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
The Rugby League International Federation
Abu Dhabi Sport Media Pearl Awards
Abu Dhabi Tour 2015
Jordanian Football Association
Bahrain Indoor Skydiving
Global TVC Campaign
Rasgaira FZE Events Consultancy
Pro Bono Work:
- Kais Zayadin from the Jordan offices is a member of the Disciplinary Committee of the Jordanian Football Association and represents them on a number of matters on a pro-bono basis including: imposing various penalties on clubs and players in the Jordanian League; liaising with various associations in relation to moving matches in the Asia and World Cup qualifications and meeting with FIFA officials to summarize the work of the Disciplinary committee in Jordan as part of their assessment of the Jordanian Football Association.
- Steve Bainbridge and Andrea Tithecott have been involved in advising the UAE Tennis Association in developing a broader regulatory framework promoting improving the health, safety and management of events as well as helping to develop the sport appropriately at a junior level in the UAE.
Articles & Information:
- Common considerations for staging a sports event in the UAE
- Using venue access to control coverage of sporting events
- Cleaning up Sport: The growing use of employee informants
- Sports Sponsorship in the Middle East: Some key considerations
- Morocco and Tunisia appeal before the Court of Arbitration from Sport (CAS)
- The Court of Arbitration for Sport is launching in Abu Dhabi
- St John’s University School of Law – Steve Bainbridge recently had the honour of joining the visiting Faculty of the LL.M in International Sports Law Practice, lecturing at their Manhattan Campus on “Sports Law in the Middle East”.
- LawInSport.com – A guide to key legal issues for sponsors and right holders operating in the UAE
- LawInSports.com – A Guide to Piracy Protection for Sports Broadcasting Rights Holders in the UAE
- Saudi Arabia - Our KSA office has been busy growing our sports capabilities and recently submitted proposals in relation to two significant sports development projects. We look forward to growing this key market for Al Tamimi & Company.
- Sports Law Review – Al Tamimi & Company Sports Law practice are proud to contribute the first chapter on UAE Sports Law scheduled to be published in the Law Business Research Series in January 2016.
- Health, Safety and Environment Workshop - Andrea Tithecott will be delivering a bespoke HSE workshop for Abu Dhabi Motorsport Management in January 2016.
If you would like further information on anything contained in this newsletter or you would like to discuss a sports related query please feel free to contact me.
Regional Head of Sports Law & Events Managements.firstname.lastname@example.org
+971 (0) 2 813 0444